ROUND TWO WORKSHOP
Your Choices- Weighing the Options
The Planning & Community Development Department hosted a second community workshop on the Central District Specific Plan area on March 21, 2019. The goal of the workshop was to present preliminary land use and urban form concepts that considered a number of factors, including community feedback received since the first workshop. Input received will help refine these concepts and guide the drafting of goals, policies, and development standards.
Workshop Agenda and Materials
Approximately 65 community members attended the workshop and provided feedback on the future of the Central District. The following are materials that were presented at the workshop:
- Icebreaker Activity: Participants were able to reaffirm what we heard so far from the community by placing stickers next to those comments.
- Powerpoint Presentation: Provided background information on the program, overview of the existing Specific Plan area, emerging themes and draft vision, and preliminary concepts.
- Preliminary Concept Stations: In an open house format, participants were encouraged to visit stations covering various elements of the preliminary concepts. Each participatn was free to focus on the issues they were most concerned with, have conversations with facilitators at each station, and provide input on the concepts at their own pace. The preliminary conept materials included:
- Vision statements for each proposed sub-area
- Overall land use concept, including active ground floors and a more detailed sub-area map
- Existing and proposed height regulations with examples of potential guidelines for building massing
- Existing public realm features such as alleys, paseos, and plazas; a minimum sidewalk width concept; and typical cross sections highlighting potential types of sidewalk environments.
Let Us Know What You Think
The success of this plan depends on people like you! Your input and ideas will guide the development of new standards and guidelines that will influence the quality of life and economic vitality of the Central District. Please stay tuned for our next round of community workshops and other opportunities to provide your input.